Monday, September 20, 2010

My thoughts on what is going on in Athens

OK, after a long Saturday, I've tried to think about the good and the bad when talking about the Dawgs. We'll start with the positives...

Aaron Murray is gonna be a great college quarterback. Thats right, I said great, not good. He already exhibits great confidence and awareness and really looks good when he's on the move. Speaking of which, why is he not rolled out of the pocket more? I have no clue. Maybe our OC can answer that. But I'm not hitting the negatives yet.

Our wide receivers made some big catches late in the game. The only problem I see here is there was not a lot of seperation, but when the ball was tossed their way, many of them made some very nice catches.

Our defense is getting close to being really good. We played a much better defensive game this weekend and the tackling was 100 times better. We got fooled on the first series and had some breakdowns that offered some big plays. Part of that is learning a new scheme and knowing where you should be. We'll get there.

Blair Walsh is the best kicker in the country. The guy just puts it thru the uprights when called upon and I was ready for him to bang in a 55 yarder for the win, it just didn't happen. We don't discuss kickers often, but he deserves a shout out.

Now let's move to the negatives.....

Offensive line has been the biggest dissapointment to date. Each of these guys have been starting since freshman and are now juniors and seniors but they aren't creating holes to run thru. The pass blocking was not good this weekend and I think is the main reason we were handed loss #2.

Washaun Ealey has really disappointed me and I'm ready for Caleb King to be back healthy and running the ball. But more than just running the ball, we need his pass protection. Ealey failed miserably blocking and that is the reason he'll always be the #2 back unless he learns how to block. Another thing about Ealey that rubs me the wrong way is that he is always walking around. Coming out of the tunnel before the game, and after halftime, walking onto the field after change of possession. Get a hint Ealey, watch highlights of Knowshon and learn how he won fans over. Let's just hope as UGA fans that Isaaih Crowell decides to be a Dawg.

And the biggest negative of them all is none other than Coach Mike Bobo. Let me preface this with, I hate to be a person who calls out coaches. I don't like to do it. I understand a play is going to work sometimes and not work sometimes, but this guy just doesn't get the clue. I GUARANTEE, I could have easily called a play on the final 3rd and 4 that would have either a)got the first down, or b)went for six points. No doubt in my mind. All he had to do is remember what happened on 4th and 4 earlier in the game. He tried to throw a 5 yard out to the TE and the corner jumped the piss out of it, which left a Georgia receiver down the sideline all alone. Call it again, give a slight pumpfake, and go celebrate in the endzone. I'm in the wrong damn profession obviously. How many times are we gonna line up in the I-Formation and either run between the tackles or run play action and get sacked? How long does it take to realize it is not working? Inexcusable. I have been like Joe and liked Bobo until Saturday. It was an eye opener to me and its time something changes. Saturday should be his last chance at calling plays in my humble opinion if we struggle again. Sorry this was so long, but my blood is still boiling just a little.

Other than that, I do think the team is improving. We played the #12 team in the country without AJ Green, Shaun Chapas, Brandon Smith, Caleb King, Chris Davis, Marcus Dowtin, and a few reserves as well. Things will get better in Athens. That is all.

8 comments:

  1. I agree with almost everything you say Starrett - Murray is great and I look forward to watching him continue to grow at such a rapid pace. i didn't like him at the end of the so carolina game looking defeated before the game was over (similar to your thoughts on WE) but he erased those thoughts against Ark. Our WR are stepping up and going against #1 CB's which most have not done in their career, if any have. TG is moving our D right along and we are not in either of these games that we lost last year with slick willie. good job giving a shout out to walsh. its really nice to not have a worry in that area (culpepper undertands this and i think pulley and jody will also when bama has to count on their kicker. not to say he will miss, but the fact that they will be a nervous wreck is what i am saying) our oline seems to be our achilles heel every year. either they are supposed to be great and then get hurt, or they are young, or like this year and we are curious to where they are..

    as for Bobo.. I understand that it is really easy to get upset with him right now. the play calling just seems really really basic but lets think about it starrett. he has a freshman qb, he is missing his best player on offense and one of the biggest play makers in all of college football and we are competing with really good teams. last year bobo lost 90% of our offense to the draft in stafford, knowshon, and mo mass and what did bobo accomplish? the #1 scoring offense in SEC play (tied with ark) so lets give the guy a little more time before we call for his head. in your very first statement you mentioned that Murray was great, not good but GREAT! this kid didn't play his Sr year in high school and sat on the bench last year and look how fast bobo is bringing him along. please, i beg you to stand behind bobo for just a little bit longer and lets see how his play calling is with a more seasoned qb and a playmaker to go to. if it doesnt get better by the time we play fla then im on board with you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe I have no clue if you have been watching the same football games I have. Bobo called one of the worst games I have ever seen Saturday. I don't care how old Aaron Murray is, he's UGA's starting QB, let him throw the ball and put him in the damn shotgun. The I-formation isn't working and any novice can see it.

    I was sitting there Saturday and we were facing a 3rd down, and what do I see? Shotgun formation with Ealey and Wooten lined up as RB's to each side of Murray. I turn to the guy next to me and say, "here comes the RB screen" and what do you think we did? RB screen that had no chance. If I'm sitting in the stands calling the play, what do you think and SEC defensive coordinator is saying?

    There is no imagination with Bobo and he don't try to outthink the opposing coach. What was the one common thing that happened on each of UGA's three touchdown's? A 35+ yard pass play. He hit TK on the first drive and Durham on both 4th quarter drives. Quit sticking the guy under center, making him run useless playaction fakes (which no one is biting on) and let him throw the ball. Roll him out every now and then.

    I'm getting hotter and hotter as I write this so I should just stop b/c I want Bobo to succeed. But Saturday put a big X on his chest for me. I'm pissed and he better turn it around Saturday.

    Speaking of, I will have a Slay your Bookie DAGGER PICK coming up later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude, i am NOT defending what he has done this year. i agree 100%. I have watched the same games you have, at least every game twice. once drunk and once sober. I just think its a little early to put a "starrett X" what ever the hell that is, on his back or chest, after 3 games seeing what he has achieved in the last couple of years.. just saying give a nigga a little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What has he achieved in the last couple of years? A scoreless first half against Bama when we are a top 3 team with the likes of Matthew Stafford (Detroit starting QB), Knowhon Moreno (Denver starting RB), Mohammad Massoquoi (Cleveland's #1 WR) and AJ Green (College football's best WR)? LOL. Like I said in the original post, I hate throwing coaches under the bus, but this is the one time it needs to happen. He either produces, or goes. And don't give me that shit about UGA's offense last year, we had to throw the ball all the time b/c we were always behind or in a barn burner b/c of slick willie's defense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so answer me this. If Georgia scores 17 points this weekend and is 0-3 in the SEC are you calling for Bobo's job? really? and when do you start putting this on CMR?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah and when PJ runs about 5 or 6 death marches on the dwags, what is Bobo gonna do? He's gonna panic and shit pants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't generalize it like that. A lot depends on the how the game plays out. Sometimes an OC can call a great game and end with 17 points due to poor execution, a very good defense, field position, and sometimes 17 points can be a poorly called game, kinda like the 24 point game we just experienced. What I want to see is that he realizes sitting in the I-formation and running the ball between the tackles and passing out of play action 80% of the game is the wrong identity for this team at the moment. Not to say it can't work, b/c it did last year vs. Tech, but that was different players and a different team. When you can run the ball like we did versus GT, then it makes sense. He just needs to show a progression of some sort that is not always black and white, but most people who know the game of football can just see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with John on this one Joe. Bobo is a terrible play caller. Richt needs to go back to calling plays. He's just gotten comfortable being the CEO and having a puppet to place blame on when things go wrong. He's actually pretty smart. When the heat is on he can fire an assistant and buy a few more years. His vagina continues to grow. He needs to roll the dice and man up. Call the F'n plays and get your old FSU playbook back out.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

Followers