Sunday, September 11, 2011

thoughts…Georgia/South Carolina

I didn’t have much to say last week after Georgia lost…  well, I did, but I wasn’t sure that what I was thinking was out of anger/depression or logical thoughts (odds of it being logical thoughts are 30:1).  I wanted to wait until after this game before I put my thoughts in writing because the one thing this blog has taught me is after you post it – you can’t take it back. 

This was one of the most inspired Georgia teams I have seen play in the last couple of years.  The Defense played more physical than I can remember seeing in a long time and TG put heat on Garcia all day.  Crowell is the real deal, he is growing into a legit RB right in front of our eyes and my criticism of this past week was unfair and premature.  You can say what ever you want to about Bobo but yesterday was not predictable play calling Coach Mark Richt gambled at unexpected times.

With 2.30ish left in the game and Clowney (a Freak! can’t remember a True Freshman DE looking that good) threw Murray like a rag doll and Murray tried to make something out of nothing and turned a bad play worse with a fumble/td to go down 10 – seeing the fans file out of the stadium was embarrassing.   I did not buy a ticket to the game and was not there so I feel I have little right to judge those people but I was still embarrassed.   I might have been embarrassed with the fact that I still believe that we were going to win the game.  I believed that this Georgia team would not give up and fight until the last second and that is exactly what they did.   And THAT is something I was very proud of. 

I believe that Georgia can still win the East.  But that is because of how bad the East is, not how good Georgia is…  We see it every single year.  We have to rely on things we can’t control to win a conference title…  ‘If UT beats Fla and Fla beats SC and we beat Fla and Ark beats SC and SC beats UT and Aub beats Fla and Kentucky beats UT and UT ties Vandy….’  Every single year!  2005 was the last time Georgia started out 3-0 in conference play…  The last 6 years we have found a way to lose one of our first 3 conference games..  

Some Numbers.

  • Since 2009 Georgia is 14-14 over all and 7-10 in the SEC.  
  • Richt has at least 2 conference loses every single year except once and that was 9 years ago. 
  • Richt is 26-21 vs. Top 25 teams in his career and 2-10 the last 12 he has coached. 

We have become a little better than a mediocre football team…  That’s it.  Above average! 

I will continue to support the Georgia Bulldogs.  I will continue to dedicate more time than I should to watching/reading everything Georgia.   And I appreciate the 2 SEC titles that CMR brought to Athens.  I have had some great highs the last decade and have been extremely proud that I thought we had the best MAN in college football running our program and I will always hold him high regard.   I don’t believe you have to hate a person before you want him replaced.   I have the up most respect for Coach Mark Richt and appreciate everything he has done for the University. But I want him replaced…..

10 comments:

  1. Joe I agree with to an extent. I don't like that UGA fans are always hanging their hats on the whole nice guy thing. Tubberville was a great guy, so was Sylvester Croom, Lou Holtz was a great guy who cared about those kids as much as anyone ever has. Every one wants their football coach to be a great but he still has to win. I am glad you finally came around to realizing Marck Richt needs to go, and you are right you don't have to hate him, but he does need to go. Your points are valid about the team they do have young talent and they will be ok, but they always have. Every year they are one of the most talented teams in the SEC) (especially offensively) but it all boils down to one thing, coaching, just like in the SC games. You guys lost that game because of discipline, from coaches and players. There is only one way to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, we lost that game because of discipline? That's funny, I was unaware that discipline causes a pick 6. Or does discipline actually fumble? And don't give me that, "The coaches should teach the players to tuck the ball in shit", UGA practices ball control everyday according to Coach Richt. Fact is, football happens. We gave the game to SC on a platter, but it happens every now and then. The same way Utah State gave Auburn the game on a platter. Listen, the fact remains college football is a bottom line business. If you don't win, you don't remain the head coach, its simple. I will reserve my judgement on Richt until the end of the season and I will continue to support the Dawgs. I will continue to go to the games on Saturday's and root for them to win every game. The game Saturday cannot be put on the coaches, I will say that. Good scheme, good defense, costly mistakes by the players. Like I said, that is football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are willing to put all the blame on the players there in lies the problem at UGA. It looked like they had never seen a fake punt before yeah it catches you off guard and maybe they move the chains, but a 275 upback going 65 yards almost untouched, that is discipline. I don't know what Richt put in everybody's kool aid in Athens but that shit is strong. 2-10 against the last 12 top 25 teams and 2 of 10 against his biggest conference rival. Your players are not the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost untouched? We had a guy there to stop him before the first down, he didn't make the play. Boykin, should have made the stop, no question, he is a starting corner, he didn't make the tackle. I don't know what else the coach can do, run onto the field and tackle the guy himself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a reason Richt threw his clip board 20 yards on that fake punt - and that was because we should have stopped it. We can argue all day about this past week but no one will convince me that our coaches didn't do one of their best jobs.. that is what brings me to where I am at right now - I believe Georgia has GREAT talent and I believe that Georgia has Good Coaches.. I also believe those coaches did a hell of a job this past weekend but the bottom line, like both of you have said, is W's and this coaching staff isn't getting many of those of late.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also will continue to support Georgia. and I will pull for them every single time they line up and play - and I am already figuring out who needs to beat who to get us to the SECCG like I normally do in October - just this year I am doing it in September..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could comment, but I don't remember uch of the game. I hit the 30 beer mark by kickoff. 6 of those being tall boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do know that 30 is getting cranked up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once the leaves start turning, the option starts churning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jon I don't understand what Mark Richt has done to get in his corner so well but kudos to him. I don't hate Mark Richt I just don't think he is a great coach I don't even think he is a bad coach. But if you make $2 Million a year then there are certain expectations you are going to have to live up to. Arguing with me will not make your team better Mark Richt gets out coached A LOT, doesn't mean he is a shitty person it just means he needs to go try somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete

Followers