Monday, September 12, 2011

How good are our teams head coaches?

Ok, I thought we could discuss this a little further. I realize Richt has really stumbled the past few years, but I want to see what our resident bloggers think about the following coaches. And this does not take into effect assistant coaches at all. I'm only concerned with the head man. Where would you rank them? Candidates.....
-Nick Saban
-Mark Richt
-Gene Chizik
-Les Miles
-Paul Johnson
-Dan Mullen

Let's just chew on these for now. Rank them in the order that you would choose for your team if your ball coach was Mike Dubose. Go.

I'll start off.....
1) Nick Saban - This is an obvious choice. He knows how to coach, recruit and prepare. Don't think anyone will pick differently for #1.
2) Dan Mullen - Up and comer that is hungry. I like Mullen, although I'm not sold on his offense. But he is all about winning, and he's doing it at MSU.
3) Mark Richt - I'm not crazy about Richt, but he can get the job done. He turned a UGA program around and I think the fire has been lit again that will make us feel like he has seen the light. Give him thru the season and lets make our decision on him then.
4) Paul Johnson - This is tough, b/c I would never want him running his offense at my school, but you have to give the guy credit, he's a hell of a coach.
5) Les Miles - Here is a man who wins all the time. He recruits well, but honestly, I wonder how in the hell he ever got a head coaching job. His time management is horrible. I once saw him trying to call time out after LSU intercepted the ball. He didn't know the clock stopped on a change of possession? Wow
6) Gene Chizik - This was close with Chizik and Miles. I give Chizik very little credit for last year's team. All the credit goes to Cam and the booster that paid for him. Chizik could hardly get a win at Iowa State, I just don't think he is a good coach.

6 comments:

  1. To me it's all about where/who your school is and who I'd like running it.

    It's always fun to say what if. I always think, "Damn, what could PJ do with that talent" or "Could Saban win at GT".

    It's hard to not pick Saban if your school happens to be a factory.

    I can't say PJ would be awesome at a UGA or LSU or Bama, because he's never gotten a chance at one of those type schools.

    I don't know why, but I've come to love Les Miles. Do I want him coaching my team? Hell no.

    Dan Mullen is a winner.

    Chiz: I know Brad will explode on me, but I feel the real coach is Gus.

    CMR is a great coach, but has gone too "Bowden" as of the past several years. He's gotten lazy in my eyes. PJ tried that at Southern, then Erk cussed him and told him to do what he does and that's call the friggin plays. CMR needs to get back to this. You can throw all the stats at me you want, but it's the truth. It's all about W's.

    With all this said, I'd take PJ at Tech over any of these guys on the list. If I'm at another school....who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. just using the people on your list - and not including stoops, paterson, peterson, etc.. here is how i would rate the people on your list
    1) Saban - after losing a 24 pt lead at home - I don't think it's the 'obvious' choice but I do still think he is #1
    2) Dan Mullen - I believe Mullen is doing more with less than anybody in the Nation
    3) Les Miles - The guy is a winner and his team will run through a wall for him
    4) Chizik - Say what you will about Cam and Gus but GC teams do not give up and that is a direct reflection on the Head Coach.
    5) CMR... fitting for #5 because he is a .500 coach over the last 28 ball games
    6) PJ - if the triple option comes to Athens I may shoot myself in the leg and then put my dick in a meat grinder

    Bottom Line is I think Richt is a top 30 coach but give me a little time and I can find at least 25 active coaches that I would take over him, maybe more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rank mine like Joes but Mullen behind Les and Chizz just because they have proved it on the field.

    Jon- No coach wins a national championship with bad players. What matters is can you win it when you have those special guys for Mark Richt it was no. If he didnt win with Stafford and Moreno then he won't. Everyone likes to point to Gene at Iowa St. If you think that 2 years at ISU is a fair assessment of a coach then you probably don't understand how good of a situation UGA was in when Richt got there. He didn't bring them from the fiery ashes of hell.

    Reese I think PJ is the best triple option in the biz I just the ACC is too athletic for that offense period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pepper,
    You actually make pretty good sense sometimes. I am still dissapointed that UGA couldn't win in 2008. Hell, you may be right all together on Richt, I'm just hoping that he can turn things once again. On Chizik, time will tell. If the measuring stick at Iowa State was too short, then its too short at Auburn as well. Honestly, I think I could have coached them to a title with Newton, that guy was a special talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Saban
    2. Les Miles
    3. Gene Chizik
    4. Dan Mullins
    5. Mark Richt
    6. Paul Johnson

    I picked Saban #1 for many reason but the main one is because he is at Bama.

    Joe again why don't you come out of your Aubie closet?

    Les Miles is the clear #2 because he has done nothing but win while at LSU. I have to put Chizik #3 because he has won a BCS Champ, but this time next year or even next week he could drop. #4 goes to Dan Mullin because he at least has people talking about MSU in a good way and he could move up to #3 next year when he arrrives at Georgia. #5 is Mark Richt because he has shown in the past he can win, great person not a great coach, he is going to be a good fit next year at Ol Miss. Last at #6 is Paul Johnson just because he was on the list, he maybe a great coach but his style is not going to win this day and time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this brings up a good question for us all to ponder on - who is the Top 20 Active Coaches in College Football?? Ill try to come up with a post by tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete

Followers