Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ranking the SEC top to bottom


Thought it would be interesting to rank the SEC teams top to bottom without worrying about divisions. So here is my early assessment....

#1 - LSU - I felt from the beginning of the year that LSU should be the number one team in the country. Then all of the Jefferson drama unfolded. But now after 3-4 games have been played, I'm back at the same conclusion.

#2 - Alabama - I now feel as though they are a little better than I felt last week. I still have questions about their offense, but man is that defense and special teams good.

#3 - UGA - I know I will take heat for this, but I am just basing it on what I have seen. Anyone who watched the GA/SC game knows that Georgia beat SC all over the field that night. Even Spurrier said so. I think in the end, UGA will represent the East, however, I do feel there is a sizable drop off from #2 to #3.

#4 - Florida - Muschamp is an animated head coach, I'll give him that. The team is good, with a lot of speed and talent. Brantly just doesn't do it for me though. We'll know more about this team after this Saturday.

#5 - South Carolina - I'm not sure about this team. They have all of the talent in the world on offense, but something is just not clicking. UGA should have beat them, Navy could have beat them. I think they'll lose 3 games this year and wonder what happened. Alshon Jefferey has been pretty much a non factor this season. We'll see if Spurrier can get him going.

#6 - Arkansas - Alabama quieted a lot of people talking about Arkansas' offense Saturday. I think they have a good Cotton Bowl quality team, but that's it. They'll have another tough game Saturday with A&M.

#7 - Tennessee - This team has surprised me a little. Dooley has the offense looking good. I still think they are a few players away. Lane Kiffin really tore this program a new one. Losing Justin Hunter will cost the Vols an extra loss or two throughout the season.

#8 - Mississippi State - Dan Mullen has turned this program back into a winner. I'm surprised Auburn beat them and I think it took some wind from their sails, but by seasons end, they will be bowl eligible which is pretty good playing in the SEC West.

#9 - Auburn - My how the mighty have fallen. No Cam Newton has proved to be more than the Tigers could handle. Most expected this team to fall off but I don't think anyone expected how bad the season started. Yes they got the win in the opener and beat Miss. St. but I think its all downhill from here on out. They'll rebuild and be back as a contender in a couple of years.

#10 - Vanderbilt - Vandy is playing some good ball this year. I don't know much about them but they are playing a good defense and forcing a lot of turnovers. But, its still Vandy and they'll find a way to lose a lot of games.

#11 - Mississippi - Houston Nutt is a lame duck coach at this point. I think his players played a lot harder the last game, but not enough to save Nutt his job. I look for them to beat Fresno State this week, then take a pounding as the SEC West comes calling.

#12 - Kentucky - When's basketball season? That's the million dollar question in Lexington. Joker Phillips may have one more year after this train wreck of a season. Looks like a 3-4 win season for the Wildcats this year.

11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry... I can't put Georgia ahead of USC, Arkansas, or Florida and maybe not Tennessee. We got inside the 25 on our first 3 drives against SC and came out with 6 points. Bottom line is we lost the game and we lost it at home. I think Ark would be a 7 point favorite over us and I think Fla would be a 10. could they win those games? maybe, but based off what I have seen so far I couldn't put them in the top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if it turns out anything like your picks so far - then it will be right on the money. I just have a problem with putting a team under Georgia that beat them at home... i can't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like I said, their own coach said they were outplayed and someone was looking out for them. Football happens sometimes and the best team doesn't always win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want one year of UGA fans being realistic not Debbie downers or hating their team just a little realism. It is ok to love your team that is what my post was about yesterday. It is just the same formulas every year. Spring= We win the East/SEC/NC. First lost= we suck. First win= we will win the East.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and I understand that - but the outcome is all that is left when the dust settles (i like the sound of that) and I agree that Georgia looked better in that game and if SC loses 3 or 4 games this year and Ga wins out, then I will put us above them. but right now, at this moment - I have to go with the heads up winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually think UGA is very talented and has been for years but they can't put it all together with Richt. My eyes tell me our D might be the only one UGA can score in the red zone against and that is a big problem in the SEC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I clearly stated that UGA wasn't near the top two teams in the conference. I think the East is much weaker than the west and me thinking UGA will win the East doesn't mean I think UGA is a top 10 school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We will see I guess I heard all this last year after 2 losses and UGA was better last year in my opinon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. UGA #3? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great comments Rusteez, lots added there to the conversation.

    ReplyDelete

Followers