Monday, November 8, 2010

Greatest Georgia Auburn Game in Hart County History

November 11 2000. 

I’m not sure how many High Schools can say that they have watched an SEC game where both starting QB’s were from the same school - but you can bet your sweet ass it aint many. 

Ben Leard, QB of Auburn, was going up against Cory Phillips, QB of Georgia. 

As for the game..  It couldn’t have been any better.  Auburn scored 20 unanswered points at the start the second half to take a 23-13 lead. However, Georgia scored 10 straight points in the fourth quarter, including a 19-yard Billy Bennett field goal with 41 seconds remaining, to send the game to overtime. After Bennett's 25-yarder gave the Bulldogs a three-point lead in the extra period.  Then Leard took the Auburn offense onto the field and lead them down to the 1 yard line.  Then Auburn called my favorite play from the 1… the QB sneak.  Leard pushed the pile into the end zone for the Auburn Victory and the crowd went wild!  The people behind early in the game asked me, “who the hell are you pulling for?”  I replied, “offense!” 

"I can't explain how good it feels to win this game or win, period," said Leard, who grew up in Hartwell, Georgia. "It means a lot to the team. The emotion of the game for me was a great deal. It wasn't a grudge match to me. I grew up loving Georgia. I won't be able to surpass this."

Auburn went on to win the SEC West.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers