Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Thoughts on Tiger's return.....

I think that overall, Tiger played better than expected. Augusta is a true test of golf and after a 5 month layoff he finished at -11. Not too shabby for his first tournament of the year. The struggles that he had, in my opinion, are the same ones he normally deals with: sprayed the driver left & right and struggled with his putter. Tiger has always been a streaky putter and when he gets hot, it's lights out for the rest of the field. That being said, when he is off it is just the opposite. However, I am more interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the overall atmosphere of his return. I think that a lot of what Tiger said in his 3 or 4 interviews put him under the microscope even more. Telling everyone that he was going to tone down his outbursts - both good and bad - and be more humble on the course set him up for disaster. I don't know about you, but I live for those fist pumps that just about rip his arm out of socket and I like the emotion that he shows on the course. Take that away and you take away a big part of what makes Tiger....well....Tiger. No other golfer gets the coverage that he does. He has a camera & microphone on him just about every shot of every round. Let's be honest, would any of us like to have a camera crew following us during our rounds? My favorite quote that was caught on camera was "Tiger Woods....You Suck" after his tee shot at a par 3. How many of us have said that and much worse after a tee shot? All in all, I think that it will be back to golf from here on out. In my opinion, people need to get over it. Yeah, he let a lot of people down, especially the kids. But to me, that is where it needs to end. If you are an adult and Tiger Woods is your role model or hero, I feel sorry for you.

7 comments:

  1. How many times have you ever seen Tom Watson or Couples or Daly for that matter ever cuss themselves and sling clubs? They know the game and how your supposed to act. Yeah, I cuss like a sailor sometimes after a duck hook, but I wouldn't do that at a tourney. With that said, that is what makes Tiger himself.

    Looks like I spoke too soon on Phil last week. I did claim he shit more talent than Tiger, which is true, but I also called him F'd up in the head. He did go a little crazy on 13.

    Anyway, back to your point after my ramble, Tiger played like a rusty golfer and was still in the hunt. That is scary, but I look for him to have some guys gunning for him now. I don't think everyone is as scared of him as they once were. He's human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have spoken too soon on daly. He likes to booze or used to, play with his shirt off at non tournament events, and tee off of a beer can over the fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiger will not have the media covering his outburst up like they used to. but i felt he appeared to be more human than every before. i played sunday morning with my nephew and brother in law. i had my 5 year old and 6 year old little girls with me. I have spoke with some of you about taking golf more serious this year and having a goal of breaking 90. well i boogie #1, #2, #3, and on #4. then on #5 i hit a good drive, nice 2nd shot, and i chip up with in 7 ft from hole. i have a birdie put! i'm really excited right now. i mark my ball, look at my line, step up.... miss it. FUCK ME!! step up... miss agian. GOD DAMN YOU MOTHER FUCKER!!! then i turn around to see both my girls looking at me. i know tiger is a professional. i understand he makes millions. but i'm a father, and if i cant keep my cool in front of my little girls then who am i to judge someone else. GOAL: I WILL NOT DROP F BOMBS OR G.D.'S WHILE PLAYING GOLF AGAIN - ESPECIALLY WITH MY CHILDREN.

    side note. game went to complete shit after that. i did my best not to cuss anymore but after 15 i was out of balls. i dont understand how i could be playing so good (for my standards) and then turn to so bad....

    Happy to see phil win blah blah blah... really wanted couples to man up but i thought he did great. im just glad lee westwood didnt win. i have no reason not to like him but the fact that he is english.

    i love anthony kim's belt buckle. sweet. he is now who i will be pulling for on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a typical Schell family outing. Never forget Joe, you learned form the best on your verbage. It's kinda like Earl and Tiger Woods........Frank and Joe Schell.
    Anyway, that sucks on the game going to shit. I bet you break 90 before Ray Ramano breaks 80.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reese = Hater

    That's the facts. You racist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whatever, I like Asians. He's more like AK or KJ than he is Lee Elder. Get your facts right Tiger lover or give him a reach around like you know you want to. I don't give a terd if he's high yella or red, That has nothing to do with why I don't hold his jock like you and 36.6 other million people in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reese, I agree that you don't see other tour players act the way that Tiger does, but nobody gets as much coverage as he does. Think about it...he was 6 shots out at one point and they continued to show every shot. In Watson, Nicklaus, Palmer, etc heyday there wasn't near the media coverage that there is today. That being said, I don't sniff Tiger's jock nor do I look at him as a role model. I am far from perfect and who the hell am I to judge anyone else in this world. I just think that the media is going to look to skewer him any chance they get. It just seems a little unfair. Daly gets a free pass because he is John Daly. Think about it.....is anything that Tiger has done worse than what Daly has done?

    Joe, keep working at it man. Golf is one of the most mentally taxing games you can play. The worst part is you have no one to blame but yourself out there on the course. I can tell you this...there is better chance of me shitting out a golden egg than there is of me controlling my language on the golf course.

    ReplyDelete

Followers