Monday, May 10, 2010

Pre-Season Polls

I hate pre-season polls.  Wait a minute, let me rephrase that.  I love pre-season polls… ok, can I love and hate them?  Because I think I do.  We have a unique relationship, pre-season polls and myself.  See, I hate the fact that pre-season polls can have a HUGE impact on who plays, or doesn’t play, for the National Championship (Auburn ‘04) but I absolutely love looking at them.  I will buy every pre-season magazine I see and read them from cover to cover.  I will make notes on them that I will never go back and read.  I just love looking at them. 

Well, since I am a journalist now and trying to get recognized by the associated press so I can have a “official” AP vote – I need a pre-season poll.  WE need a preseason poll.  And instead of just writing down 10 teams and tallying them up – lets debate it and agree on it.  Then we will have OUR first annual “SOUTHERN FRIED PRE-SEASON POLL”  and with its success we can continue it though the regular season.  Should be good.  With everything you need a Commissioner and since I did start this blog then I will be placing myself in that position – also I will be placing Reese as Associate Commissioner to make sure that I am handling the poll with as little bias as possible.  I want to try and take this poll pretty serious.  So understand that we will be arguing about where teams should be and your not going to get your way every time so don’t get your feelings hurt and stop making suggestions.  Also, the amount of people that agree with teams is huge.  So even if you are just a reader, a comment just saying “I agree with Brad here”  goes a long way. 

Thank you in advance for making the SOUTHERN FRIED POLL a huge success

Here are some teams that I would like to start with.  Lets agree on a Top 5 and then move forward from there.

#1 Alabama – I do not think that Alabama will repeat with the losses they had on Defense (2 1st rounder's and 2 2nd rounder's on from the Defensive side of the ball) and with the target on their back.  I do think that Saban is the best coach in college football, and they are the most talented team in the country, but their is a reason no one goes back to back.  But I don’t think anyone can argue that they are the pre-season #1

#2 Texas – Strong Safety went in the 1st round, also had 2 other Defensive players in the 2nd round and McCoy and Shipley being gone on Offense will have to hurt the long horns

#3 Ohio State – Averaged over 29 points per game last year and didn’t have an offensive player drafted.  Actually they didn’t even have a player drafted in the first 3 rounds.  Weak Big 10 equals Ohio State in top 5.

#4 Virginia Tech – Tech didn’t lose much from a team last year that only lost 3 games and they open this year up with a Boise State team that will probably have a single digit ranking next to their name.  Last years loss to Alabama to open the season will have a impact on this years team and Boise State will shit themselves when “Enter Sandman” starts and the place goes nuts.  After Tech wins this game then they will be up in the Top 5.

I can’t put Boise State in the Top 5, just cant do it.  Who goes next? Oregon with out a QB? Florida maybe?  TCU?  Surely not IowaNebraska maybe?  Wisconsin

Remember we got 6 – 10 as soon as we figure out the Top 5.  Then we go after 11-15.  Then wrap it up with 16 –25, which should really be fun. 

16 comments:

  1. I'd prolly go:

    1. Bama- I'm a big fan of you're #1 until proven otherwise. The O will be better ad the D will be a tough Nick Saban run D = Bad ass.

    2. tOSU- They are coming off a strong Rose Bowl win and have pretty much everyone coming back. They'll be a handful in the Big X.

    3. Boise St- Loads of talent coming back this year and the past few years when they get a chance to play the big boys they win.

    4. Iowa- They may have the best D in the nation this year and a better O than last yr. We all know D wins championships. They are the Bama of the Big X. They'll win the Big X but can't start out ahead of tOSU.

    5. UF- You have to put UF in the top 5. They have the most talent of any team out there. That, along with a new QB that can actually throw, will make them more like the Chris Leak lead UF teams.

    VT is overrated. You know what you get with VT's O. It's been the same the past 10 years other than when Sean Glennon was at the helm. They lost a ton on D, but will be fine cause they have the best D coordinator in the land(Saban would have that title if he actually came out and admitted he ran the D). They deserve top 10 discussion, but that's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will agree with Fla - where is Texas in your mind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6-10. They play KSU, Nebraska, and OU this year. They'll get beat by 1, maybe 2 of these teams. KSU will suprise some people. The QB for UT got some big time minutes, but I still look for him to struggle this year. OU will win the Big XII.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so where do you put Texas at pre-season. coming off losing the National Championship with a QB that had never started and looked pretty damn good? you got them 6,7, 8? where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have them at #7 right behind OU at #6.

    ReplyDelete
  6. based on what you KNOW and what you think - would you have a problem putting Texas 4. they did play in the title game last year and did pretty damn good with the back up QB. plus, did you watch the draft? you think OU is going to recover that good after losing that kind of talent? give Texas at least the 4 spot. thats me droping em 2 spots and you raising them 3 and ill concede on tOSU at #2. that will leave 3 and 5 open. I like Fla at #5 but I cant put Boise st or iowa over Texas... So what do you think about this.
    1 bama
    2 tOSU
    3 Texas (i know i just said 4 but hear me out)
    4 Fla
    5 Iowa or V Tech

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for my top 5...
    1. Alabama. It is hard to repeat but I think you are number 1 until someone knocks you out of it.

    2. Ohio St. OSU is the deepest and best team in the BIG TEN. I think they better watch out for the Miami game.

    3. Texas. I say this because the BIG 12 is going to be down this year. Without a major slip up they should win the BIG 12 Champ.

    4. Arkansas. My sleeper this year, I think they have as good a shot as Boise St. Mallet and Patrino can be that good.

    5. Oregon. With out Masoli, Oregon is the most talented team out West.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok, can we all agree Bama, OSU, Texas as 1,2,3? if so then we can take care of the 4 and 5 and we have our First Top 5. I have been persuaded that Fla should be there but I dont agree with Jody on Arkansas, at least not in the Top 5. Its cool for them to be your sleeper so we can put them higher than most would expect but not in the Top 5 based on last year. so, Oregon, Iowa, V Tech, Boise State? Who else makes the cut?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm good on Bama 1, tOSU 2, and won't have a hissy fit if ya'll want to put Tex 3. 4 & 5 should be between Iowa, Boise, and UF(just off reputation).
    Jody, I like Arkansas but my sleeper team is 'burn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alright Reese, what do you think about Fla @4 and Boise State @5?? I never thought i would be a part of a poll that had BS in the Top 5.

    ReplyDelete
  11. jody? your thoughts also. Are you cool with droping Arkansas and Oregon down a little bit. Oregon will prolly be a 6,7,8 seed. Arkansas will need some discussion

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry dude, but Boise deserves to be ahead of UF. They are bringing back almost everyone from a pretty stout team. We can all say they playing the wac, but they came out and said we'll play anyone anywhere anytime and don't have to have a return game. The big boys didn't want to step up to the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. good point. I think they will get the breaks beat off of them by VT but they have stepped up and did beat oregon last year. I'll swap those 2.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boise St beats VT. I hope they don't, but they will. VT will be breaking in a young D and BSU always shows up clicking on all cyliders.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, here's my input...
    1&2 are no brainers - Bama and OSU. I agree with everyone here, until Bama is beat they are #1. I, like Joe, will bet they will lose this year as I just don't think their D will be as good as a year ago. #2 is a joke as OSU plays in the Big 10. Put them in the SEC or Big XII and they are likely to lose 2-3 games. But, we have to play with what we have, and they are the class of the Big 10.

    3) I'm going with VT. I think they beat Boise and roll thru a weak ACC conference. I think VT's offense is gonna be good this year and their D and special teams always play well.

    4)Boise State - Kinda the same idea here as with Bama. These guys haven't tasted defeat in quite a while. If they happen to beat VT, they will be playing for the title unless 2 big boys in big boy conferences go undefeated.

    5)Texas - I'll go with Texas at 5. They will probably win the Big XII but I definitely think they'll lose during the year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. VT is overrated/always are. I keep telling ya'll that. Listen to an ACC guy. GT, like Bama, are the kings of their respected conferences until someone knocks them off. FSU will be the team to beat this year in the ACC.

    ReplyDelete

Followers