Thursday, May 19, 2011

Kid dilemma

Parker is an honor student…  This is something very new to me.  I never made this group and no body ever really expected me to either but Parker has and I am proud!  I have a question for Southern Fried, and I don’t care if you don’t have kids – your opinion is still valued.  How do I handle this with Rachel, who didn’t make the honor roll?  Rachel is the middle child and for those of you who are familiar with my family, you understand why I have a little concern about how to handle certain things at an early age with the middle child.  Here are some of my thoughts and I would really appreciate any thoughts from you. 

228512_2098940919492_1424485470_32510593_3567448_n 226994_2098940039470_1424485470_32510588_7486627_n

  • I want to encourage Rachel but worried about any resentment she may have towards Parker.  I have no reason to feel that she will have any resentment because they are pretty much best friends and have very little jealously between them.  Still a concern.
  • I feel it is important to do something special for Parker because of this achievement making her want to do again and again.
  • Tomorrow morning everyone will be at this thing and Parker will be the main focus, which she should be.   And both of them need to understand that each one has days where they are the focus. 
    • This is where I want to do a great job as a parent.  I want Rachel to be proud of Parker and to be happy for her during Parker’s day.

So here is what I’m thinking right now.  And keep in mind, that I can’t be spending much money – Disney is in 2 weeks.  I was going to take Rachel to the Store and let her pick something out to get Parker.  And while we are there, get her a little something also just for being her. 

this may sound trivial but I think that it’s times like these at the ages they are that shape what kind of people they become and I am taking it serious.  But will probably fuck it up some how. 

Any recommendations? any Risks you see that I may have by doing this?  Any comments in general? 

8 comments:

  1. Your plan sounds good. I wasn't as smart as Greg but knew I was better at everything else than him so I wasn't worried about grades. I never felt any jealousy from or towards Greg. I wouldn't worry about it. Just do what you think is right and I'm sure it will be.

    On the other hand, what route are you taking? The kind of route where they don't keep score in tee ball or are you going to keep score to let children know what defeat taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have winners and losers. We don't take turns to see who sits in the front, we flip a coin to see who wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, hats off to Parker. What is scary to me is that you seem like a very good parent Joe. Proud of you for that, so props to you. I agree with Reese, your plan sounds good. Do you think Rachel is just not as smart, or she doesn't give as much effort? That would be a big factor on how to proceed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both. She is not as smart and she doesnt put forth near the effort. I see more and more of me in her every day.. that's why she isn't the one making the honor roll. If it was just effort that Rachel was lacking then this would be easier.. its the fact that I don't think she is as smart (book smart that is) as Parker. I kind of see Parker as Amy Holland and Rachel as me. Amy made great grades but couldn't tell you if Atlanta was North or South of Hartwell (true story, she actually called one time when she heard on the radio that an accident was on I85 south and she wasn't sure which 85 she was on) Parker enjoys reading while Rachel enjoys making playing pranks on people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Then I think you celebrate the Honor Roll the way you are planning and just find another thing that Rachel does that is good, and celebrate her victories similarly when she does something good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joe, I cannot be silent. Your achievements have had nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with self discipline. It was easier for you to get others to do things for you than to do them yourself. Rachel is just as intelligent as Parker. Just needs a little more encouragement. Kathie McCurley said she cannot believe you were never on the honor roll. She said you were very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do you get speacial treatment for doing something you are supposed to do? I think Rachel should get the praise and gifts for going against the grain. So go get Rachel a gift and tell her good job for being different.

    ReplyDelete

Followers