Thursday, February 24, 2011

Diamond Shopping

Do you think Dan Uggla was enough to put the Braves back in the postseason this year? Here is what I think.

 

Our lineup I project to be

  1. Prado
  2. Heyward
  3. Uggla
  4. McCann
  5. Chipper (I hope)
  6. Gonzo
  7. Freeman
  8. Mclouth

is a really strong top to bottom with speed and power throughout. I think Freeman could be BIG he is only batting in the 7 spot because he is a Rookie and doesn’t have the power to bat clean up but I think he could be a number 3 or 5 hitter. I think if Freemen is on the shortlist of 5 or so players for NL rookie of the year I think we will be better than last year offensively.

 

Our rotation I project to be

  1. Hudson
  2. Hanson
  3. Lowe
  4. Jurrjens
  5. Beachy

Now this is until Medlin gets back which who knows when that could be. Lowe could be huge as the 3rd starter, even he didn’t have a great year last year he finished strong with a 5-0 record an era well under 2.00 in the last month and into the playoffs. If Beachy and Minor can alternate for 9 or 10 wins until Medlin gets back hopefully in Aug I think we will in the thick of it

The Bullpen of Peter Moylan, Scott Linebrink, George Sherrill I think is one of our biggest strengths so I will not spend a whole lot of time on that.

Now comes the ?

With the loss of Wagoner can Kimbrel step up and be a legit closer? I don’t know I personally think the job should go to Venters but he is a lethal set up man and the Braves seem to love this Kimbrel kid, for one I hope they are right.

12 comments:

  1. from what i have been seeing, the Braves really high on this Kimbrel kid - I love Venters (sp) to stay at the set up spot to keep the starters innings low.
    The problem i am having is that i cant seem to get past the Phillies.. I just believe that we are playing for the Wild Card spot and the season hasnt even started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Unfortunately it does feel that way. But the Phillies do have weaknesses their bullpen is suspect, with the exception of Doc all those pitchers have had injury problems. They do not have a right handed batter in their lineup and they don't have a closer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we can hope for injuries but all i keep seeing is 4 20 game winners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Per Joe's vision....

    Philadelphia Phillies set a new all time win mark with a record of 146-16. Four 20 game winners in the starting rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holladay 3x 20 game winner; cliff lee 3x 20 game winner; roy oswalt 2x 20 game winner; cole hammels hasn't won 20 games YET but already has a World Series MVP and NCL MVP. I think it is very realistic that these 4 guys account for 80 wins based on the last 3 years of production.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last 3 years
    Halladay - 20-11, 17-10, 21-10, I can see him winning 20 as he's done it 2 of the last three. But I'd say its a 50/50 shot at best.

    Lee - Won 22 games in 2008, since then he's won 14 and 12 games during the regular season. Don't think he'll do it.

    Oswalt - Hasn't won 20 games in the last three years. I realize he played for Houston, but his ERA numbers aren't staggering. He got hot late last year but he's won 17,8, and 13 games over the last three years respectively. Don't see him winning 20

    Hamels - Most games he's won is 14 in a season, and that was 3 years ago. Doubt he'll do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And to actually believe they can all do it in one season is comical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that it is stretch but to say it is comical i would i have to disagree. Statistacly this is the best pitching rotation EVER (understand the season hasn't started and this is all speculation) But we are talking about, what could be, the best 4 man rotation in the history of baseball. So even if 22, 20, 18, 15 that would be an average of 18.75 wins per starter. Call me crazy, assuming all stay healthy (huge IF) what is the over/under on the total wins accounted for by this starting rotation? 75? 72?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe I agree it's not comical to ponder but keep in mind only one team since 1920 has had 4 20 game winners (71 Orieols) and they lost to the Pirates in the world series and only won 101 games which is not shabby but has been done and surpassed many times. I would say it's highly unlikely they combine for 80 wins I say under 68.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would take over 68 and i dont think they all will win 20 games this year. i said i keep seeing 4 20 game winners and beside hamels, they all are 20 game winners.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't discount those Braves 4 man rotations with Smoltz, Maddux, Glavine, and insert fourth (Avery, Neagle, Millwood, etc.)

    ReplyDelete

Followers