Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Southern Fried’s Pre-Season Poll (rough draft)

UPDATE

Instead of ranking 1-5 / I want 5 teams that most agree on that are the top 5.  who gives a damn if they are 1 or 5. 

Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, FSU, Virginia Tech, Stanford, Oregon, Wisconsin, TCU, and Boise State. 

that is 10 teams – our top 5 has to come from these 10.  So lets agree on 3 – Alabama, Oklahoma, and LSU or locks. 

now, lets argue the other 2 spots. 

 

Last year we did a pre-season poll and it was really fun combining everyone’s thoughts.  Here is a couple of things that made last uears work well.

-be willing to move your picks up and down based on good points made by others.

-try your best not to be a homer or a hater

Starting off with teams in consideration for Top 5 slots.  (IN NO ORDER, yet)

Oklahoma / Alabama / Oregon / LSU / Stanford / FSU / UGA

To start with – does anyone have anybody that should be considered?

14 comments:

  1. Virginia Tech. They have a VERY favorable schedule this season...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. It's called the ACC. UGA -N0. Stanford -NO. I think Bama should be behind Oregon and Oklahoma and if Jefferson plays LSU. I don't care how good their D is if you don't know who your QB is yet you shouldn't be ranked higher than the top 3 teams with seniors. For the 5th I like FSU/BSU/NEB. I don't think BSU is the 5th best team in the nation at the end of the year but I think it makes sense to rank them there now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for starters I got #1 OU, #2 LSU, #3 Alabama, #4 FSU, #5 Stanford

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pre season polls are basically what we think the teams will look like after the end of the year, right? With that understanding:

    Wisky: Returning a solid OL, add Russell Wilson to the mix, two 1000 yd rushers returning, Awesome WR in Toon returning. They'll be good.

    Bama: All around well coached and an awesome D as usual.

    OU: Same as Bama but flip O for D.

    WVU: Holgerson is the 2nd coming.

    Oregon: They'll be right there in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never thought that pre-season polls hold much water - it's tough to say that #1 is materially better than #4, etc. I think it's safe to say that there is a group of 4-6 teams that are all the 'tip of the spear' - that said, here is my group:

    Bama, OU, LSU, Oregon, FSU

    Close: Nebraska, VT, Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not even going to comment on the QB situation at Alabama because 5 of the last 9 BCS Champions have been 1st year QBs. In saying that I will put me top 5:
    1. Bama
    2. N. Dame
    3. OK
    4. TCU
    5. FSU

    I am basing this on the end of the year. If N. Dame goes undefeated, you know they will play in the Sugar Bowl.
    2011 Sugar Bowl (BCS Champioship game)
    Alabama v Notre Dame

    Go to hell Joe

    ReplyDelete
  7. None of those 5 were true sophomores or freshman. Good pick on ND Dane Crist looked real sharp last year as a junior.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Crist is going to put up some hella good numbers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You also think it's just a matter of the "waiting game" before GT is good, so your opinion means little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you honestly think Chiz could do a better job at Tech than PJ I'll shut the F up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I do. I think anyone who didn't run a High School offense could.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK I'll never ask that question again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best I remember Gus brought his offense from High School.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok. Anybody who doesn't run a High School offense from the 70's. Better?

    ReplyDelete

Followers