Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Greatest??

People these days are so quick to drop a “Greatest” on us but over the weekend I started thinking about who are the greatest athletes at their respected sports of the last 30 years or so.  Like 80’s on up.  I will throw out my top 5 to start and maybe some of yall can make some good enough points for me to change them up.

#1 Michael Jordan – My nephew asked me the difference in Kobe and Jordan and I thought about it for a while and said, “with Kobe, I watch to see if he will personally take over and win the game..  with Jordan, I waited for him to personally take over and win the game.” 

michael-jordan

#2 Tiger Woods – Red shirt on Sunday, playing in the final group, and increasing his lead in another major... shit happened over and over to the point where if Tiger wasn’t contending then something was wrong.  I’m curious to see if he drops on this poll because of his recent slump.  Am I putting him at #2 because of what he has accomplished PLUS what I think he still will??? or do his current credentials deserve #2 spot?

tiger_woods2

#3 Jimmie Johnson – JJ has been a professional athlete for 6 years, this year being his 7th.  He finished 7th his rookie year and has won the Championship every other year.   He is the most under rated under talked about professional of any sport.  What he has accomplished is truly amazing.  it has never been done before and probably will never been done again.

jimmie-johnson

#4 Roger Federer - #1 player in the world for 237 consecutive weeks..  He won Wimbledon 5 years in a row and picked up US Open’s 4 of those years.  He dominated the World of tennis.  The clay is the only thing that has him down to te 4 spot and actually he could get bumped.

Roger-Federer

#5 Mike Tyson – Call me crazy here (you damn sure can call him that) but Iron Mike Tyson completely fucked people up man.  Just remember when you would watch a heavy weight bout and it was for the title and he would be fighting the #1 contender and it would last 32 seconds.. 

mike_tyson

Here is the starting 5 – who moves up? who moves down? who gets added?  and who gets taken away?

29 comments:

  1. Pretty good post Joseph. MJ was the man. Tiger is solid at #2, then it gets a little hairy. I'd probably bump Federer ahead of JJ. Federer is arguably the best ever in his sport. JJ may end up being, but is not there yet. Iron Mike was the most dominate boxer in a 10 year span. I do think when it's all said and done that Pac Man will be the best boxer ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Football wise I'd throw Joe Montana in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this will open up good conversation. I have had a change of heart on Mike Tyson, I compare him to the Miami Heat. The Heat are big, powerful and scary and beat up on the people they are supposed to but they cannot beat the teams equal to them. Tyson was the same way with his fights. Dont get me wrong he was a bad ass but I dont think he should be on the list.

    Remember I am not putting people on this list because I like them, if that matters.

    Barry Bonds
    Deion Sanders
    Jerry Rice
    Greg Maddux

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flair should probably be on the list just ahead of MJ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jody had a good point about Tyson. The four toughest fighters he ever fought he lost to all of them. I would put Holyfield over Tyson, he did go 2-0 against him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. good enough points on Tyson - he is out. who goes to his spot. I like Jerry Rice out of Jody's list. does he go in or does Flair?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also think that Carl Lewis could be added to the list. Was there anything he didnt win?

    As far as JJ being in the list "COME ON MAN"

    There is no way, if we are talking the greatest athletes in 30 years, that anybody who drives anything could make the list. Dont bring up they drive 200 mph for 4 hours, they are not athletes. If JJ is in, we need to change the list to the greatest of there occupation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jimmy Johnson is on the fucking list dude - his accomplishments speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If that is the case you need to put Warren Buffet and Bill Gates on the list. Look at there accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also agree with Jody on JJ. However if we were putting drivers I would put Schummacher over JJ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good call Pepper. I forgot about the other MJ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you all's ignorance on a particular sport is really showing up here. Even if you dis like the sport, even if you don't understand it, you can not ignore this guys accomplishments. 5 straight titles in 6 years of professional racing. Knock him down on the list if you will but to say that he doesn't belong on it because you do not like the sport is just being stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. IT IS NOT A SPORT, it is an event at the most.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If JJ is on the list you have to put Evil Knievel on the list. It is the same kind of "sport"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honestly, JJ does not belong on this list. You are listing the Top 5 athletes of all time, sorry Joe, but Jimmy Johnson should not even come close to this list. He is a NASCAR great, but to classify him as one of the top five athletes is a little too much. Jordan and Tiger are definites. Tyson in his prime was the shiz, but too many problems ruined his legacy. Federar is definite Top 10 and probably Top 5, its just hard to put a tennis player in the top 5. Barry Sanders was one hell of a talent that should definitely be considered.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yall are killing me - I felt assured that someone would come in and back me up but it appears that i am all alone. I will remove JJ from list... but you bastards remember that this is another perfect example of this not being my blog, its Southern Fried's blog. for the people and by the people.

    and just to be clear starrett, i'm talking best over our lifetime not of all time. i think you understood it that way but you put of all time on your comment.

    and has anyone given me a good reason other than they dont appreciate the sport the guy is in???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joe how many times do I and most people on this blog need to say that NASCAR is not a sport?

    ReplyDelete
  18. #3 should be Gretzky. No one has meant more to their sport over the last 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pepper is on his A game today. Don't blow your wad. Keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  20. With a golfer it takes ability and you dont have someone pushing you from the rear.

    I think you could put Pete Rose on the list.

    Brad what about Patrick Roy?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pete Rose is to old - he was in his prime late 60's - mid 70's

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't think Roy is iconic enough. I don't even know if I wouldn't name 3 or 4 more hockey players before him. I would like to see number 5 be a baseball player. I think it would have to be Rivera, Ryan, or Ripken.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like Ripkin or Rivera (sp) - is lance not going to get any love either.. i guess since its another form of racing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joe, some of us were alive in the mid 70's. He played until the 2nd half of the 80's. Have you checked you man card today?

    Anna Kournikova.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Roy is the greatest goalie of all time. I think Nolan Ryan is one of the most iconic baseball players in the last 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ripken? WTF!! There is no way in hell Cal Ripken Jr would even be in the Top 50 of this list. Most consecutive games played or started or whatever the fuck it was is the most overrated record in all of sports. Put him in your top 5 of guys who battle thru pain and avoid injury, but that is comical. Did he ever lead one batting statistical category in all of those years of consecutive starts? Rivera is horrible too. I can see an argument for Ryan express. Roger Clemens was a beast, but was it b/c of the PED's? Hard to say. Ken Griffey Jr. was about as dominant of any baseball player in modern history, along with ARod and Pulhols.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I agree 100% on Griffey Jr., if he had done roids he would have stayed healthy and broke every record known to man.

    ReplyDelete

Followers