Thursday, April 28, 2011

NFL Draft

I love watching the draft.  I enjoy seeing what direction teams are wanting to go, the last minute trades, guys expecting to go early not, guys not excepting to go early and do, just everything about it I enjoy. 

I have seen stories (peter king – who I respect) say that the Falcons are trying to trade up to the 5 spot to get AJ or Julio from the 27 spot.  I don’t see Dimitroff (Falcons GM) doing this.  As you can see with the Patriots having 3 of the first 33 picks and 6 in the first 3 rounds – Dimitroff comes from that same thinking where you trade to get picks not to give up picks.  So I see the Falcons taking a pass rusher in their normal spot.  (it would be fun to see AJ in a Falcons jersey though)

Atlanta-Falcons-GM-Dimitroff

Cam Newton is all but certain the #1 pick, according to everyone that has an opinion on the draft, but the more I see him the less I like him….  nothing to do with the pay-for-play scheme allegations (or getting carried off the field – starrett) because I think I have been pretty fair on Cam this entire year.  I’m talking about from a NFL QB stand point.  He just doesn’t get me excited.   I think we could see a shit load of QB’s taken in the first couple of rounds and I look forward to seeing who Shanahan takes.  I read this morning that no-one, even in the Denver organization, knew that CMS was picking Cutler until the day of the draft and after the McNabb debacle I think he has his eye on someone and I respect his eye for QB talent.

Marcell-Dareus

Marcel Darius is my favorite player going into tonight.  I saw 3 Bama rookies make impacts on the defensive side of the ball last year (Mclain, Arenas, and Jackson) and Darius could end up being a true beast on the D front.

I think Ingram doesn’t go in the first round but who ever gets him is getting a steal.  All the mock drafts I have seen have him going 15 to the Dolphins but I think Miami gets a QB and I hadn’t seen anyone else have a RB picked after Ingram in the first RD so we could see him take dive like we have seen some others do in the past couple of years. 

If the Falcons do pick a Pass-rusher who will it be??  Am I just being a total homer by wanting it to be Justin Houston?  or will Houston be gone by 27.

Always love to see who Pittsburgh picks.  Last year they took a center in the first round and I specifically remember all the talking heads chuckling saying, ‘who takes a center in the first round?’ - last year the NFL had 2 rookies in the pro-bowl.  The #1 over all pick in Sue, and guess who else??  that’s right, the Center from Pittsburgh – Pouncey.  His brother is actually in the draft this year, another center, he could be the next Center takin in the first round.

3 comments:

  1. I think this year is a weak QB class I would take Cam as the first QB just based on potential but I wouldn't take him with the first pick. That being said there is no guarantee that Luck will not break his leg and never play in the NFL so I guess if you need one take him now. I think Marcell Dareus is good but I wonder what position he would play. He is not big enough to play nose guard and to big and slow to play NFL D-end. I think he will be a DT in a 4-3 scheme in which case I would take him after Fairley who has dominated at that position already.

    I think it will be interesting in 3 position battles to see who goes first. Quinn or Bowers? Julio or AJ? and Mallet or Dalton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dalton WILL go, maybe a full round, ahead of Mallet. Newton, Gilbert, Locker, Dalton, and probably even Ponder will all go before Mallet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you say this year's QB class is weak?? I bet more QB's are taken in the first round tonight then the last 2 years 1st rounds combined.

    ReplyDelete

Followers